by Mrs. Richard Coen
The library in Contoocook was founded in
1870. It was located upstairs in the Curtice Block, and remained there until
April of 1955. It then moved into one side of the old railroad station,
Following the move the circulation increased rapidly and more space was
Through the foresight of Richard Bates, a great lover of
books, the present library in Contoocook was made possible. He willed upon
this death in 1909 provisions for a sum of money to be set aside for a
library building in the Village of Contoocook. his will also stated that
this building was to be of "field stone or brick." For years this money
remained in trust, growing.
The time finally came to start building. The site was
given by Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Huntoon in memory of Captain Grovernor A.
Curtice and Augusta W. Curtice. The new library was called "The Bates
Library" and was completed in 1959.
Bates, an interior decorator, designed and lived in "The
House on the Hill" across from "The Mt. Lookout House."
Mrs. Richard Coen