The Hopkinton Town Library Presents:

The Contoocook Village Quilt

A Digital Library
Home ] About the Quilt ] About the Project ] Browse by Quilter ] Browse by Row ] Browse by Grid ] Browse by Title ] Browse by Subject ]

 

St. Mary's of the Assumption Church

(Catholic Church)

by Mrs. William Milne

 

From 1848 to 1911 the Roman Catholics of Hopkinton and Contoocook had to travel to St. John's Church, South Main Street, Concord to attend services. Starting in 1911, Sunday Mass was held in the Hopkinton Town Hall in the winter and in Columbia Hall on Maple Street, Contoocook in the summer. During this time, the Catholics were anxious to have a church bunt in the Town of Hopkinton. Knowing this through some of her Catholic employees, Mrs. Larz Anderson, daughter of Commodore Perkins, made a gift of land, part of the Perkins' estate, for the church. Thus on July 28, 1929, St. Mary of the Assumption Church on Kearsarge Avenue in Contoocook was dedicated by Bishop Albert Guertin. Rev. Charles Leddy, pastor of St. Mary's Church in Hillsboro, was in charge of the new mission church.

In 1945 Rev. Franc; s E. Butler became pastor of St. Theresa's Church in Henniker which was now a parish. St. Mary then became the mission church of St. Theresa's. Father Butler gave more than a quarter of a century of service to the church and the town. During his years as pastor, the parish grew in membership, the church was renovated in 1950, a parish hall was built in Henniker, and he started the annual St. Patrick's night supper that the people from the surrounding area still enjoy. He was a friend to all.

On February 1, 1972, after Fr. Butler's death, Rev. Richard A. Smith became pastor. St. Mary's was again renovated in accordance with Vatican II. The parking lot and grounds were improved. Representatives from the Hopkinton-Contoocook area now serve on the parish council which manages the affairs of the church. A Folk Group and a women's group, The Women of St. Mary's have been formed. The parish helps support the Chaplain at Concord Hospital and the Concord Christian Life Center. St. Mary of the Assumption is still growing and will continue to grow under Father Smith’s Leadership.

Mrs. William Milne

Cedar Street

Quilt Square of St. Mary of the Assumption Church

Back to J. Howard Lightfoot, M.D.

Next to Hopkinton Telephone Company and Hopkinton Police

LOC Subject Headings

Churches -- New Hampshire -- Hopkinton -- Pictorial works

Churches -- New Hampshire -- Contoocook -- Pictorial works

Catholic Church buildings -- New Hampshire -- Hopkinton

Catholic Church buildings -- New Hampshire -- Contoocook

Historic buildings -- New Hampshire -- Hopkinton -- Pictorial works

Historic buildings -- New Hampshire -- Contoocook -- Pictorial works