The Hopkinton Town Library Presents:

The Contoocook Village Quilt

A Digital Library
Home ] About the Quilt ] About the Project ] Browse by Quilter ] Browse by Row ] Browse by Grid ] Browse by Title ] Browse by Subject ]

 

Grange Hall

by Mrs. Ervin Buttrick

 

The main part of this building was an unfinished hotel, formerly on the site of the present nursing home and was moved to form a part of the present Grange Hall.

 

In 1891, Hiram and Lena Conant moved from Connecticut into this building, it being a two family apartment house at the time. They started a silk mill, producing 100 pounds of organizine a day and in 1901 were occupying the second floor of the machine shop building on River Street.

 

About 1917, the building had four apartments, with the families of Smith, White, Ellingwood and Burgess living there. In November of 1950, the building was purchased from Mamie Preston by Contoocook Grange for a Grange Hall. Extensive renovations were done, making a large hall upstairs and a dining room and kitchen downstairs, under the chairmanship of Mr. Townes. Since then, many more improvements have been made, making it a fine hall.  

 

Mrs. Ervin Buttrick

Park Avenue

 

Quilt Square of the Grange Hall

Back to Contoocook - Place of the Crows

Next to Kingsbury & Davis Machine Shop

LOC Subject Headings

Dwellings -- New Hampshire -- Hopkinton -- Pictorial works

Dwellings -- New Hampshire -- Contoocook -- Pictorial works

Farmers groups -- New Hampshire -- Hopkinton -- Pictorial works

Farmers groups -- New Hampshire -- Contoocook -- Pictorial works

National Grange -- New Hampshire -- Hopkinton -- Pictorial works

National Grange -- New Hampshire -- Contoocook -- Pictorial works

Patrons of Husbandry -- New Hampshire -- Hopkinton -- Pictorial works

Patrons of Husbandry -- New Hampshire -- Contoocook -- Pictorial works

Historic buildings -- New Hampshire -- Hopkinton -- Pictorial works

Historic buildings -- New Hampshire -- Contoocook -- Pictorial works