by Beverly Grenert
The house, located beside the Bates Library, is thought
by its present owners to have been built before 1800. It was there in the
1830s, but early deeds do not give an exact date for construction. It had a
barn attached a one time.
Most of that section of Main Street was part of the
original property, there are 59 quit claim deeds for parcels of land that
went with that property. There is a photo, taken in the early part of this
century, which shows a white picket fence surrounding the house. A
dentist by the name of Wilson lived in the house and practiced in one of the
front rooms, at about this time. There are records that show a Clough and
Baxter once lived in the house. It was flooded in both 1936 and 1938 and was
under eight feet of water.
Beverly Grenert, who now owns the house with her husband,
operated the Browsery – a gift shop – from 1971 until early 1983, on the
first floor. Bill Grenert also operated an antique shop.