The Horace Stanley Home
by Mrs. Robert Smith
This home was built around 1760 and was situated where it
is now before the township of Contoocookville was formed. Timothy Emerson is
the first known tenant. He was Mildred Raymond's great-grandfather, and she
remembers being told he returned to this place in 1763 after fighting in the
French and Indian War in Captain Gages' company.
The house was vacant for years and was used for storage;
the grounds were used for pasture1and. The next known owner was Mr.
Stanley's great- grandfather, Charles Clough. During the late 1800's, this
house was used for apple storage by Mr. Burt Blanchard.
Sometime after this the barn had collapsed and some of
the boards from the original barn were used to restore the roof and part of
The heirs of Charles Clough sold the house and property
to Jessie and John Nelson in 1910. Then Jessie Wardsworth Burns attained
property in 1917. She sold the property to Florence Hall in 1921. Later the
property was divided between son Lawrence and daughter, Esther Hall Wheeler.
Lawrence sold out to Esther in 1933.
Walter Wheeler inherited property when Esther died. He
turned it over to Vivian Krueger, his widowed mother, in 1948.
Then, in turn, this estate was sold to Harold Martin in
1953. At that time the land went to the lakeshore, northwest of the standing
The house and 3 1/3 acres surrounding it was sold to
Horace Stanley in 1954.
Mrs. Robert Smith