J. Howard Lightfoot, MD
by Dottie Graziano
This square honors Dr. Lightfoot who served our community
for 40 years.
He came to Contoocook in 1946, following service as a
Captain in the U.S. Medical Corps in Europe during World War II. He started
his practice out of the Methodist Parsonage at the foot of Maple Street. The
church did not have a minister at that time. His office was in the front
room and the small front hall served as a waiting room for patients.
In 1947-48 Dr. Lightfoot's house was built, and it the
residence shown in the square on the quilt. The house is located on Kearsarge Ave. The Lighfoot family moved in on February 14, 1948, and
practice began from an office in his home. The house was built by George
Harris of Warner. The heating, plumbing, and electrical work was done by
Scott Coen, Roy Kimball and Charles Allen. All of these names are familiar
to old time residents of the village.
The Lightfoots' first daughter, Ann, was born in Salem,
MA in 1942. The rest of their family, Jean, Jack and Bob were all born at
Concord Hospital. The Lightfoot children attended Hopkinton Schools grades
Mrs. Lightfoot (Dorothy Baldwin) of Wilton NH served the
community in various ways as the family was very much part of the village.
The red Volkswagen shown in the square was a familiar
sight around the village. In the years that Dr. Lightfoot served the he made
house calls in the manner that medicine was practices in those days.
Back to George's Park
Next to St. Mary of the
LOC Subject Headings
Doctors -- New Hampshire -- Hopkinton -- Pictorial works
Doctors -- New Hampshire -- Contoocook -- Pictorial works
Historic buildings -- New Hampshire -- Hopkinton --
Historic buildings -- New Hampshire -- Contoocook --