The Hopkinton Town Library Presents:

The Contoocook Village Quilt

A Digital Library
Home ] About the Quilt ] About the Project ] Browse by Quilter ] Browse by Row ] Browse by Grid ] Browse by Title ] Browse by Subject ]

 

The Methodist Church

by Mrs. Gilman Brown

 

The Contoocook Methodist Church was built on Maple Street in 1871, dedicated on November 16th of that year. The membership has grown to over 200 from the 35 members of 1871, who raised the $2,000 to erect the church. Members rented pews from 1871 to 1927. Music has always been an inspirational part of the church service, with Senior and Junior choirs and at one time a Cherub choir. In 1912 a pipe organ was installed to replace the Prescott organ. later, in 1956, an electric organ was purchased.

 

July 1892 saw the church raised and vestry built under it. More recently, in 1962, an 8-room Educational Building was added on the south side. In 1962, a restoration on the inside of church and sanctuary was accomplished. The year 1968 saw the church become the United Methodist Church. The Reverend Lewis Howard was the minister in 1871. The pastor is Reverend Joseph B. Holliday this "Year of the Quilt", 1974. 

 

 

Mrs. Gilman Brown

Penacook Road

 

Quilt square of the Methodist Church

Back to Kimball Nursing Home

Next to Children

LOC Subject Headings

Churches -- New Hampshire -- Hopkinton -- Pictorial works

Churches -- New Hampshire -- Contoocook -- Pictorial works

Methodist Church -- New Hampshire -- Hopkinton -- Pictorial works

Methodist Church -- New Hampshire -- Contoocook -- Pictorial works

Historic buildings -- New Hampshire -- Hopkinton -- Pictorial works

Historic buildings -- New Hampshire -- Contoocook -- Pictorial works