by Ms. Laurie Holmes
The policeman and the little boy in this
square represent the police services to the town.
Until 1964 this consisted of the town
constable whose duties were part-time and matters requiring his attention
were conducted from his own home.
In 1964, Dana Daniels became the first full
time police chief. A new office was built in 1971 and the department has
grown to 4 full time officers and 6 part-time officers. James Hargrove is
now serving as Chief of Police.
The first telephone office in Hopkinton was
opened in 1884 in a store belonging to Kimball and Co. Another office opened
in the depot at Contoocook the same year.
The first "independent" company in this
town was incorporated as the Hopkinton Telephone C. in 1907. For years the
telephone office was in the home of William Blake on Pine Street.
In 1959, dial operation came to Hopkinton.
A new, modern office was built at that time and in 1962, Concord exchange
became available to Hopkinton residents.
Ms. Laurie Holmes