by Patricia J. Sanel
This block was built by Mr. Harry Clifford
in the year 1900. Frank H. Reed opened the drug store in the block on
January 1, 1901. The other two stores were occupied by Dexter Ladd (Mrs.
Doris Currier's father) who was engaged in the plumbing and heating
Two years later the building was sold to Charles C.
David, resident manager of the Kingsbury and Davis Machine Co.
The building and contents were heavily damaged in the two
major floods; the first in 1936, and the second in 1938. Water reached the
depth of five feet above the street floor level in both years.
The next owner was Robert G. Reed who sold to Robert M.
Bean and his brother George W. Bean in 1967. In January 1974 the store
changed hands again with three owners this time - David Story, Richard Lord, and Bayard Pope.
Patricia J. Sanel